August 30, 2009

Walk It Out

I didn't start to see my weight loss solely on the food I changed but it was a more then crucial piece. The other crucial step: exercise. I have enjoyed running for several years but I am by no means someone who calls herself a "runner". I run up to six times a week and am lucky if I break 2 miles. But I have learned that because I love it and am motivated to continue to run, the mileage doesn't mean a thing anymore.

Once I got my new eating habits on a self regulated course I turned my focus over to exercise. I was already running at my convenience which was shaping up to be 2 days out of the week. I didn't make time for this, I added it whenever I felt it was needed. I don't regret my approach, after all remembering to eat every two hours and to have it planned down to every protein and complex carb was enough on some days. I worked my way into my current schedule and also changed it up.

I started with 20-30 minute jogs, resting every
5-10 minutes with a brisk walk. I rarely ran in the mornings and often forgot to stretch. At the five week mark I decided it was time to amp it up. I made the intention of running 5x a week. I even created a section in my day planner and would plan my running days out in advance.

Few things I learned the hard way:
  1. Good shoes are key! If the shins start to flare up take a look at how old your kicks are.
  2. Your muscles have great memory and can convince you of getting lazy: mix up your routine whether with time or with the route you take
  3. Wear a watch. It may feel like twenty minutes when it fact it was closer to eight.
  4. Take a day off! Your muscles also need to repair themselves so you can tear them up again on your next run. I like 3 days on with a day off. I have heard this is quite popular.
  5. Don't love it? Find something else.
If you love biking, swimming, the gym, or even walking enough to spend 30 minutes being active with it a few times a week, do it!

Lastly, stretch when you are warmed up. Stretching gets your blood circulating more and can loosen up those rigid spots, it also helps to repair damaged tissue quicker and that process is what builds muscle, and more muscle means less fat. Tah dah!

peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment