September 15, 2009

Fall Into Baking

Although the weather around my fair city is resembling mid-July I am no fool and know that fall is just on the cusp; seeing my breath in the air during those morning runs, red flanked maple trees, and everything and anything related to pumpkin spice and apple butter. I may be restricted in how many slices of pumpkin pie I may indulge in but I am determined to enjoy my favorite seasonal foods, substitutes and all. I baked my first loaves of Pumpkin Spice Bread for the looming autumn and found subbing a few ingredients easy and encouraging. I've listed the original recipe below and my version as well. This is a great addition to breakfast with a little apple butter accompaniment.

Pumpkin Spice Bread

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (*See Substitution below)

2 1/2 cups sugar (*See substitution below)

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 can (16 ounces) pumpkin purée

1/4 cup vegetable oil

4 eggs (*See substitution below)

Grease and flour two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, stir together the pumpkin and oil.

Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; add pumpkin mixture. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Makes 2 loaves of pumpkin bread.

Try this version instead for a healthier treat!

  • Substitute All-Purpose flour with one of your favorite flours: oat flour, buckwheat, whole wheat, or spelt flour. I am hooked on oat flour and used that with the same measurement.
  • Substitute the white sugar for something less likely to store away in your tummy. I used Organic Light Brown Sugar (2 cups only). Also try raw sugar, rapadura, or maple sugar. Check out this handy sugar alternative chart here!
  • I followed the recipe as written from there. If you don't eat eggs substitute apple sauce for eggs but keep an eye on the bread's baking time!

xoxo

,


No comments:

Post a Comment