September 2, 2009

The Skinny On: The Scale

First of all, get off of the scale. Second, keep it in an appropriate place, like under the bathroom sink and not next to your bed. Third, they are just numbers in the end and how you feel about your body should have more influence then those numbers.

My experience: I was weighing myself almost weekly before I started this whole makeover and sad with the weigh in results each time. I am 5' 6" (I like to think I am closer to 5' 8", but alright.) and have been hovering around 150 lbs. for awhile now. Since high school I have gone from a size 6 to a size 12 and back down to a size 6. I rarely saw the difference until I looked at photos. I am not obese nor ambitiously overweight, but I have been unhappy with the skin I am on for ten years and that was reason enough for me.

Several online calculators said I was within my healthy range, but barely. Based on height and body type I decided I wanted to weigh in at 130 lbs. I will write on framing your body in the next post, and important reminder in creating your body type in your head. My 130 lbs is another woman's equivalent to my 150 lbs. And my 150 lbs is another woman's 130 lbs. Stop comparing!

As far as that scale haunting your bathroom, use it as a tool but use other tools to measure as well. A scale does not factor water weight, menstrual cycle, muscle gain, or what time of day it is. In addition to weighing in also measure around! Measure your waist, hips, and under your bust but not everyday. I lost my first ten pounds in almost eight weeks, that is quick for being half my total loss. I saw a difference just about every week, so the end of the week is a good time to take some notes. And as far as climbing onto that scale? Once every three days, at the same time every morning. Consistency is key! In total to date I have lost approximately 13 lbs. and gained around 3 lbs of muscle. My scale not knowing the difference has me believing I am stuck when really I can see in my reflection I am well on my way.

peace and love,

No comments:

Post a Comment