September 3, 2009

The Naked Truth

I know, I promised to write about framing your body but this is just too good to not acknowledge! Turn to page 194 in the most recent issue of Glamour and meet Lizzie Miller; she is a model, and she is a size twelve. She seems to have hit home with every woman who has seen her photo for the article on loving the skin you’re in. I heard the uproar before I had a chance to see her photo and I could easily see why there is a lot of talk about her very real self. She represents the size and shape of the average female today and only makes up one single page of the magazine. A magazine that is creating the image we read to be the average.

I celebrated the advance as we are making progress, but disappointment loomed its little head. A friend and I found sadness in the over enjoyment of Lizzie’s pic. Sadness in that our excitement shows how infrequently this average image actually gets to the surface of a camera lens for millions to see; and sadness for the image being in a magazine with a size four on the cover.

Lizzie commented that she has succumbed to her body type and realized this is the frame she is meant to fit and has fallen in love with every inch of it. This is what framing your body is all about! See yourself through your own lens and not the one that does not fit in your closet or your mirror. Not the one looming in the checkout aisle covers or even in the term, “skinny jeans.”

This picture found a place in me as I am dedicating a piece to its presence on my blog. It also reached each woman in my life today, it was the topic of gossip throughout each conversation! And that made its mark in herstory.

xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment